Sunday, May 4, 2008

He Speaks to Me

"I'm your servant, ready to listen."
1 Samuel 3:10


On Saturday, May 3 at my church we had a ladies spring luncheon. The theme was "He Speaks to Me". As you can see from above the verse is out of the book of 1 Samuel. We had a lovely morning of fellowship with one another and good food, salads from Sweet Tomatoes. I had never eaten there so it was nice to get to try it. One of the ladies sang a song and then we had our wonderful guest speaker, a dear friend of mine. She had many wonderful things to say about how God speaks to her. And advice on how to listen to God speaking to us straight from His Word.


The focus to her talk was John 14:15-26.

If ye love me, keep my commandments. And I will pray the Father and He shall give you another Comforter, that He may abide with you for ever, Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth Him not, neither knoweth Him; but ye know Him; for He dwelleth with you, and shall be in you. I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you. Yet a little while, and the world seeth Me no more; but ye see Me: because I live, ye shall live also. At that day ye shall know that I am in My Father, and you in Me, and I in you. He that hath My commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth Me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of My Father, and I will love him, and will manifest Myself to him. Judas said unto Him, not Iscriot, Lord, How is it that thou wilt manifest theyself unto us, and not unto the world? Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love Me, he will keep My words: and My Father will love him, and We will come unto him, and make Our abode with him. He that loveth Me not keepeth not my sayings: and the word which ye hear is not Mine, but the Father's which sent Me. These things have I spoken unto you, being yet present with you. But the Comforter, which is the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

She taught us a really neat trick to help us remember verse 20. She gave us three different size envelopes and one small bright colored square. She told us to take the largest envelope and write God on it. The second one we wrote Jesus on it. The smallest one we wrote our name on it and then we took the small square and wrote Jesus on that one, too. We put them all inside of one another smallest to largest. So It reminded us that Jesus is in God. We are in Jesus. And Jesus is in us. Isn't that a neat little trick to remember it? She had really cute decorated envelopes and told us that we could take ours and decorate them when we got home if we wanted to. She is such a crafty person! 

She also talked about the words in red in the Bible. We know they are Jesus' words. The whole Word of God is very special, no arguing that. But it really peaked my attention when she would refer over and over to the Words in Red being Christs' Words. The Words He spoke to His followers and to us, all of us from then to the day of His return. Wow! We are so fortunate to have His Word. Some do not have a Bible. I find that so sad. I try to make sure that all the children who ask for one, and any adults for that matter, have one if I know they do not.

Some of you may know and some may not know the struggles my family has been going through. As we have been seeking His will and guidance through it I have had to listen very carefully to what He was saying and the timing on that. When the doors were opened so quickly that I could hear God speaking through that. God is using this to bring our family closer and to work through so many things. I am excited to see what God is going to do through all of it.

So how do you hear God speaking to you? How do you speak to God? Prayer? Song? Through service? Through friends? If there is a certain way that God has spoken to you lately, please share it with me.

Until next time...blessings to you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment