Monday, September 26, 2011

My "Professional Haircutting at home" Adventures

In May when I went to the Home School Book Fair in Arlington, I found a booth that wasn't there the year before. A home school mom of 8 who is also a professional hairdresser. She put this video together to teach how to do a professional precision haircut. It has 8 basic haircuts for men, women and children. The video is called Professional Haircutting at home: A Complete In-Home Course on Haircutting


I had all the supplies gathered up to do it, even professional sheers but I waited. I had many excuses but the real reason I didn't try it was fear of messing up. Finally, John said, "when are you going to cut my hair? I need a haircut." I wanted to start on Jennifer because her haircut is the easiest. So last weekend I cut Jennifer's hair. It turned out alright. I just cut about two inches off. She has a "all one length" haircut. Then next was my husband. I watched the two men's videos and then set out to do his hair. The neat thing is I have the TV on and I am watching the video as I cut and pause it when I need to. It took awhile to do his hair but the instructor took her time, too. I didn't take pictures of his before and after but it turned out pretty good, for a first time. And he didn't make fun of me or get mad at me, so it couldn't be THAT bad. 


I didn't use a round brush to curl her hair under when I dried it so some went up and some went down. In another week I will do a small trim to make sure I get the ends better. They are just a little off, I think. With practice I think I can get it right. That is the idea, anyway. Jennifer wants to know when she can do mine!


Jonathan is NOT going to let me do his hair because there isn't a video of HIS haircut, he says. He is right. There isn't. So for now, he will still get his hair done by our good friend, Cathy.

That was the big project for the weekend AND our latest attempt at saving money wherever we are able to cut corners (no pun intended) and do it ourselves. 

Until next time...Blessings to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment