Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Living Today

Do you ever get lost in tomorrow? Do you ever catch yourself living for tomorrow and what you hope to have? I have to admit I have done that for the past 8 years, if not longer. It has robbed me of the joy of today. Not completely but I can look back and see how it did effect my daily life.

In 2003 we started "dreaming" of moving to Colorado. Other people move where they want to live so why not us? Surely we could find work there just as easily as here. We spend years looking for work, applying for jobs, even looking for homes. We went as far as to purchase land in Colorado with hopes of building a house on it someday. A friend drew up plans for that dream home. We lost that land to the bank after paying on it for 5 years. We kept the house plans and maybe someday... 

In 2009 we started down a path of discovery in the mission field overseas. We became excited to find the people group we were to GO to and live among. We began to dream and plan how that would be and what we would need to do so that our children would flourish. We began training for ourselves and our children to prepare us. Doors opened for training and for a huge trip across the world. We fell in love with the people there and the idea of living there and working to help them have water and a better understanding of Jesus' love. Then the doors began to close. Our hearts are willing should the doors open. Maybe someday...

But what about the here and now? Do you know some of the things that I did because of those dreams? I didn't put pictures up in the hall of my children. It seemed like such an effort for something that I was going to have to take down and pack away. I stopped paying attention to making my home better in little ways so I would enjoy it more. There are things I want to do in my kitchen that are small things but it would look so much nicer. I stopped planning things for the long term HERE. I just kept thinking "we might not be HERE for that". I have packed away my Christmas things more than once thinking "I need to pack these well so they will travel safely" instead of just packing them for the season and knowing I would get them out again in the same house. I have NOT gotten out my fall decorations for years because it just seemed like too much effort. (I have missed my fall angels.) 

I am so done living life this way! I am going to enjoy my life TODAY and let tomorrow come as it may. I am going to enjoy each season to the fullest. I am going to do the things with my family that are fun and make memories to last a lifetime. I am going to focus on doing little things each day to make THIS house a better home for our family. And if the time comes we have the money to build our home or buy a new one that is in a better location in Arlington, then I will be excited and work hard to make that the best it can be. (If we stay in Texas, Arlington seems to be where our family is going to live.) IF one day the doors open up to move to Colorado, we will make that move with excitement. IF one day the doors open up to move across the world to drill water wells and share Jesus with others, we will go with excitement! But no more living for tomorrow. I am living life TODAY and enjoying it. 



The birds are singing loudly outside as the breeze blows through the trees. The sun is shinning and the air is cool. God has blessed me with so much; a home, a wonderful husband, four great kids, some "adopted" kids whom I love as much as my own, grandparents who loved me enough to raise me when my own parents weren't able, sisters (and a brother who is now in Heaven, I pray) who though I didn't grow up with them was allowed to "find" them and have them in my life, other family members who I love dearly, a wonderful family in the faith, and lots and lots of great friends all over the world. I am so blessed beyond imagination. And God continues to bless me daily. Yes, there are the downs in my life, I have had many. But Jesus has carried me through them all. I trust Him to continue to do that throughout my life here on Earth. And when it is all said and done, I will live forever with Him in that heavenly place He has prepared for me. My prayer is that all of those who have touched my life will be there with me. 

Until next time...blessings to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment