Saturday, October 1, 2011

A Movie, Time Outside and Money Saving Adventures

Our weekends are always full of activity. Sometimes it is together as a family and other times we are in all different directions. This weekend, we were able to be together because we didn't have things pulling us elsewhere. 

John started off the day going to the men's prayer breakfast at a local doughnut shop. He only gets to go when work doesn't demand his presence. After that he picked us up and we headed to the mall to see a wonderful Christian movie that just came out on Friday. Courageous, The Movie! I knew it would be good because we have loved the other three movies that Sherwood Pictures has made. But I had no idea just how much better this movie was going to be than the others. I didn't realize how much I would laugh and how much I would cry. I didn't realize how much it would touch my heart in so many ways. I am praying that it will touch the hearts of the men in our lives in an even bigger way than it touches us women. This is about them. But it is also about us, his wife and kids. We are to support him as he strives to live the life God has called him to live. There is website to the many resources for you and your family. I am so grateful for these men who allow the Lord to give them a story to tell and for the church that they belong to that works together to bring it to the big screen to share with the world. May God bless them greatly!

After the movie we stopped at Braum's for a small lunch, since we were FULL of popcorn and soda from the movies. We went to Veteran's Park and walked around the trails. Jonathan rode his skateboard and Jennifer her scooter. Both had MAJOR crashes! But they are both fine and managed to keep having fun. We sat and talked after our walk around the park while the kids played. We have some things we are working on to downsize our lives, not just our stuff, and we rarely get the chance to talk face to face about them. The air was cool and even though there were people at the park it did not seem crowded and crazy. Everyone was having fun and enjoying a day outside in the cool temps after a long hot summer. 

As we downsize, we must fix up the house. We have many small, medium and large repairs that we MUST do in the shortest amount of time possible. I am working on a list and will do my best to set aside time each day to do something towards getting that list of things done. I am also committing to doing as much of it myself as I can or finding someone to help me to take some of the load off of my husband.  Another thing on my list is to get my scrapbooking and sewing projects done and out of the way. I have my photo's divided into different containers according to season or type of picture. I HAVE to get those containers empty. I also MUST go through everything and figure out what we are keeping and what we are not. THEN sell what we are NOT, figure out what I don't NEED for a long period of time and pack that away to reduce the amount of STUFF around the house. That will help with the home repairs and how the house looks. We need the house to "show" well.

We are also working on downsizing our monthly expenses. The thing I am working on right now is the grocery bill. I have found some great sites to help me with that. I have put their links on my sidebar link page if you are interested. One of the sites talked about saving money by planning your menus based on your weekly grocery purchases. Whatever you find on sale for the week, plan your meals around that. I am very excited about it. We have two more weeks before we get paid again so I am going to have to be VERY creative with our meals and what I can purchase. I am not going to be able to purchase non-food items until we get paid. Everything will have to go towards our meals. I will try to post at least one new recipe and/or meal idea each week. One of my big things is crockpot meals because of the time I spend each day teaching my children. I love to put a meal on to cook and then get back to what I am doing instead of spending hours in the kitchen and making a huge mess to clean up. 

Until next time...Blessings to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment