Monday, June 18, 2007

Memories Monday - # 2 - Fathers - Part 1


When I think of "fathers" not just one person comes to my mind or one quality. I didn't grow up in a traditional home, per say, so that is off a bit. I never think about my birth father because he never had a part in my life. I think of my grandfather/adopted dad, my husband and my Heavenly Abba Father.

I was adopted by my maternal grandparents so my grandpa became my father in every other sense of the word "father". He was a quiet man who loved to work on cars, play golf, go deer hunting, play Domino's (Moon and/or 42) and watch "Gunsmoke" on TV while he napped in the chair. My grandmother sang in the church choir so on Sunday mornings before I turned into a teenager and sat with my friends because I was "too cool to sit with a parent" you would find me right next to my grandfather on the fourth pew from the front. On Friday mornings my grandmother would play a round of golf with her friends and he would take me to Burger Chef for a fish sandwich before heading to the golf course for his turn to play with his golfing buddies. When I was really little, about 5 or 6, I can remember his cleaning a deer in the garage. It was a dirt floor garage; we lived out near the fair grounds. I used to watch him and have long talks with him while he was working in there. I don't really remember about what but I can remember enjoying just hanging out where ever he was. He was the one that walked me down the isle when I got married. That was over 24 years ago and he went to be with the Lord in 1992, 8 1/2 months before my son Nick was born. He was a great father and a great man with many talents. He did not get the chance to know any of my children because he had a stroke when my oldest child was very little. I miss him very much and wish he could have known them. I know that he would have enjoyed my boys and my girls would have had him wrapped around their little fingers. June 19 was his birthday! Happy Birthday, Grandpa!

Parts two and three to come.

Until next time...blessings to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment