Monday, June 11, 2007

Memories Monday #2 My Grandmama

When I think about memories one person comes to mind more than others, my grandmother, Iona Offield. She wasn't just my grandmother, she was my MOM. I was three days old when I went to live with my grandparents. They officially adopted me when I was in the first grade. I got to grow up with all of my cousins and other family members still a part of my life, except for my birth parents and two siblings from those parents (who were adopted out to two other families when they were 3 and 2. I was the oldest.). But I know God had a hand in where I grew up and who I grew up with. I have known many godly women over the years and some of them are so dear to my heart. But the person that has had the most impact on my eternal well being is my grandmother. I affectionately called her "Grandmama". I did try to call her mom for a while after they adopted me but one of my aunts couldn't deal with that. Imagine a grown women getting upset at a 7 year old for calling her mom "mom". That stopped that pretty fast. I figured it must be wrong if Aunt Reta was angry at me for it. I didn't realize at the time that she had other things that made her act that way.

I watched my grandmother serve on many committees at church and in the community. She was in WMU at church and she did outreach within our church to members in our little town. She worked with the American Cancer Society. I know she did many more things but what I remember more than anything that she had her Bible at her bedside table and would read it every night. I saw her reading God's Word and heard her praying daily. No, she wasn't perfect, but she was a work in progress and I could tell she was doing what she could to let God do that work in her.

She didn't have the easiest life one can live. But she left a legacy for all who knew her. And many knew her and most that did loved her dearly. She had 4 daughters (one died shortly after birth). They gave her 13 grandchildren. There are 45 great-grandchildren. After she went home to be with the Lord there were 2 great-great-grandchildren born.

Until next time...blessings to you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment